Electric Aviation Group (EAG) has taken a fresh look at how electric aviation can, on a meaningful scale, impact the Carbon contribution and noise footprint of aviation. EAG can advise on all aspects of electric aviation including technologies, integration, operation, and certification.
Considering the near-term availability of electric propulsion and electric energy storage technologies, EAG has identified that a hybrid electric aircraft capable of carrying 70+ passengers at ranges up to and beyond 800nm is viable and could enter into service before 2030 with full certification. That aircraft would deliver significant fuel savings (up to 15% on a 300nm sector), a reduced noise footprint (that meets requirements for 24/7 operations), and new flexibility for air transport (cabin flex). While it may not immediately make the sector net-zero Carbon, it would be the catalyst for a paradigm shift and the associated technology developments to move towards the global, long-term target. The sector did not wait for the Boeing 747 to be developed. Indeed, the early jet aircraft were significantly noisier and less fuel efficient (by about 75%) than the later embodiments; but they paved the way.
EAG acknowledges that the key to making this step-change will be; to resolve issues associated with thermal management of the power system, to develop low noise propeller/fan technologies and, to establish new system autonomy and safety concepts that are able to maintain and improve the safety of air transport. EAG has already identified and protected a number of IP topics that relate to these specific areas. EAG has not been restricted in its approach by an existing product line and has exercised a synergistic design philosophy to make sure that all the innovations work positively together. The consequence is a regional aircraft that will provide benefit to the environment, the operator, the manufacturer and the passenger.
In addition to pursuing our ambition for developing disruptive & differentiating technologies for Hybrid & All-Electric Aircraft and Hybrid & All-Electric aircraft platforms, EAG will offer consultancy services in the aerospace and aviation sectors. Here are some areas where we can offer some advice/expertise:
- Overall Aircraft Design – Conventional/Hybrid/All-Electric Aircraft Design
- Hybrid/All-Electric Aircraft Powertrain Systems Design
- Overall Aircraft Systems Architecture Design and Integration
- Integration of Battery Technology, Structural Batteries, Fuel Cells, Biofuels, etc.
- Thermal Management of Electric Motors, Power electronic and Batteries
- Systems and Aircraft Autonomy
- Advanced Manufacturing – Composites and Advanced Metallics
- Aircraft Certification
- EAG also has an active interest in the Urban Air Mobility aircraft market due to the overlap of EAG’s protected technologies between the regional hybrid-electric and Urban Air Mobility Aircraft markets. Silene is EAG’s proprietary platform for the exploitation of technologies on VTOL (Vertical Take-Off and Landing) aircraft.
- Drones Technology and Platform Development
- Development of the Aerospace Ecosystem (Aerospace Supply Chain and Academia) – We have strong connections with key universities and the global aerospace supply chain. We can help to create an Ecosystem to Ecosystems collaboration between countries.
- Decarbonization of the Aviation Sector
- Development of future proof products and services that support the necessary paradigm shifts
- Development of new ground infrastructure concepts that will support increased air traffic growth